Low Town by Daniel Polansky 7/10

     So, some fantasy/ science fiction books try to blend its genre elements with some hard-boiled detective elements. This is a book like that. In fact, for part of the book I was doubting whether it was actually a fantasy book, but there are enough parts where there are actually some fantasy elements (it's a Grimdark fantasy to be specific). One trap these sort of books fall into is that they seem to think that grumpy is actually all you need to make the main character work.
     That being said the world is pretty neat. I believe how bad it is for the people in low town how bad it is for them. The dialogue isn't as good as Sebastien de Castell's, but it's still good. It reminded me of some of the things I liked of 'Altered Carbon,' but it didn't have a lot of the drawbacks. I'd give this book a light recommendation.   

Comments

Popular Posts