The Naturalist by Andrew Mayne 8/10

     I generally find that books that are high on ebook reading lists are bad. They're generally pieces that are so focused on the genre they're in that they rarely step outside tropes or worse--they're totally incompressible. I started this after reading a few books I actively didn't like, and walked in fairly skeptical of the quality, but I was pleasantly surprised.
     This doesn't fit neatly into many of the categories I've already read here. It's more thriller than anything else. The overall arc reminds me a little of Scooby-doo. Having a science oriented action hero was really nice. This book reminded me a lot of the genius plague in the way the intelligent character is written.
     The suspense here is done really well. There's some great twists here. A lot of fun.

Comments

Popular Posts