The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks 8/10

     I liked the 'The Black Prism,' (the book that comes before this in the series). I had read it when I
was a teenager, and it made me feel nostalgic. When I read it then I didn't like it that much. Reading it a second time I liked it more, not by a lot, but I liked it considerably more. I thought it was okay, but not amazing. Reading this book I'm sorry I didn't continue because this book was awesome. Don't get me wrong it's not something like Patrick Rothfuss. It's not high literature, but boy is it fun to read.
     The world doesn't get the same fleshing out as it did in the first book. (A huge chunk of the first book is dedicated to getting the physics of the world getting pinned down.

     The action in the book is really hit, and miss. It's so bizarre. Throughout the books are some awesome examples of action scenes that are so fun to read. They're like these textbook cases of what action scenes should be like, and some that are just bad. I think it's because the way physics of the world works is so different that it becomes to abstract, and comes across as silly at points. I'm not sure.
     The Biblical allusions throughout the book are really tasteful. Most religious writers make sure to hammer home their ideology, and it becomes more annoying than actually substantive. The same is true for the irreligious. 'The Left Hand of God,' is just as bad as anything Ted Dekker ever wrote. Brandon Sanderson's Mormonism is just as good as this. It gives a flavor to the work that actually enriches it rather than just using it as a bludgeon against the reader.
   

Comments

Popular Posts