Strange Weather by Joe Hill 6/10

      Now I really like the novels by Joe Hill. He was these descriptions that remind me of early Neil Gaiman, and super intriguing concepts that remind me of his dad (Stephen King). His most recent novel as of date is Fireman-- a book I was really disappointed by. Fireman tries to take a look at religion in the context of a rather interesting apocalypse scenario.
      I loved his collection of short stories '20th Century Ghosts,' a book I totally recommend you check out.
     Within the year after the election I've noticed a lot of media being spoiled by the attempt to lecture people about politics. Yes, everyone has a right to saying what they want to say, and they have a right to say it in story form if they wish, but more often than not the story is all the worse for it.
     The first story. (It's devoid of politics altogether. The second story I was a bit more annoyed about. The main character is about as deep as a kiddie pool, and is just a big meanie for the author to attach all the vices he chooses. It seems like he's trying to make a compelling argument against gun control, but it comes off as misplaced. Oh, you mean the made up villain you shouldn't have access to guns. Really? No shit.
     The third story is really good. It's got some great fantastical elements with a if pitiful but likable character. Again though there's this political ending that won't be aging well--probably. The third one was forgettable but fine. I can't say I recommend this collection--even if it does have killer prose.

Comments

Popular Posts