The Black Prism by Brent Weeks 7/10

     When I was eighteen I discovered Brent Week's 'Night Angel,' trilogy, and fell in love with it. His world had an intense grit to it that I found super appealing. So, I decided to go back, and see what he's been working on through all these years.
     I wouldn't say I was disappointed by this book, but there are elements that I was disappointed by. The entire book is pretty much setup for a larger series. It mostly revolves around a long lost son who is brought back to the city, and a huge chunk of the book is taken up by repeatedly showing you how out of place he is. It is better than having an angsty teen protagonist that I've gotten used to, but it still did wear me down a bit. It is made better by the chapter structure that weeks uses. All of the chapters are really short, and he moves from scene to scene fairly quickly. So, you don't spend that much time in one place.
     The other thing that disappointed me was the big battle scene seems to almost come out of nowhere. There's a very brief mention of war, and by the end of the book, it's happening.
    This book built intrigue so well though. It had some great twists happen throughout the books. The characters are all well developed, and believable. Since the book is supposed to be simply the premise/ setup for the rest of the series I have to say its a solid book.

Comments

Popular Posts