Moon Called by Patricia Briggs 7/10

     If I had to compare this to another series it would be Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. It's like the diet decaffeinated Mountain dew to Butcher's regular: sort of similar but devoid of what makes those books over the top. 
     One problem with the book is that it always takes itself far too seriously, and I understand why. Being a werewolf serves as a metaphor for being gay, and it's hard to be both self-aware of how ridicules a world of fairies and werewolves is and make a serious point about oppression. That's not to say that every story has to be silly and cheesy (most good ones aren't), but when you are trying to make this serious point it can come off as tone deaf.
     That being said I was never bored reading this. I can see why this is as popular as it is (fairly). The main character is just badass enough so that it's believable. It could have easily been overdone. I'd give this a light recommendation.   

Comments

Popular Posts