Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castell 8/10

        Now, sequels have a habit of being bad or really really bad. In fantasy and Sci-fi, they have to do a lot of the heavy lifting with none of the pay-offs. This book is a bit of an exception.
      The main reason for this seems to be that it focused on the flaws of all the main characters. He does only about as much worldbuilding as the first book did. (Which was about the right amount.)  It kept the focus on the characters; exactly where it should be.
     There was one part I didn't like. The main character is poisoned at the end f the first book, and it's fatal. It felt more like a trope than anything else. Wasn't really my cup of tea.
      The book did slow down around the three-quarter mark but picked up again at the end. I wouldn't say this is as good as the first one, but it's really close. I liked this one almost as much as I liked the first one.
     The next book I'm gonna be reading is the third book in this series. I'm really looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular Posts