Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older 3/10

          So, I had high hopes for this book. It's dystopian; a genre I love, and it's Japanese. I also love Japanese literature. On paper, this book looks good. One of the reasons I love Japanese books is that it does something the fantasy genre can do well. It's that the world in which the story takes place has an inherent conflict. When done right the conflict of the main character mirrors the conflict of the world.
     The problem is that doesn't really happen. The moral message never beat me over the head, but it wasn't good either. It mainly had to do with how unashamed and opportunistic politicians are. I kind of already knew that. On top of that, there aren't really big consequences for what the characters are doing.
      That being said it isn't an absolutely awful book. The idea of having too much information than you know what to do with really resonates with the current political climate, but there wasn't enough here for it to actually be good.  I wasn't mad about it afterward, but I definitely won't be picking up the book that comes after this one 

Comments

Popular Posts